Athens, February 21: At least five migrants were confirmed dead and around 20 others remained missing after a wooden boat carrying dozens of people capsized in waters south of Crete early Saturday, Greek authorities said.
The tragedy occurred approximately 15 nautical miles (27 km) south of Kala Limena on Crete’s southern coast, according to the Hellenic Coast Guard. Greek state broadcaster ERT reported that the accident happened when one of two commercial vessels dispatched by the national search and rescue centre approached the overcrowded migrant boat.
As a ladder was lowered from the rescue vessel, several passengers reportedly moved simultaneously to one side of the wooden boat in an attempt to climb aboard, causing it to lose balance and capsize.
A cargo ship flying the Panamanian flag rescued 20 survivors, while vessels from the Hellenic Coast Guard and the Frontex recovered three bodies from the sea. Two additional bodies were later located during ongoing search operations.
Survivors told rescuers that about 50 people had been on board, raising fears that the death toll could rise. Search and rescue efforts remain underway, with coast guard patrol boats, passing commercial ships, a helicopter and a military aircraft deployed in the area.
Earlier this month, two migrants were found dead near the Evros River, which forms part of the Greece–Turkey border. Authorities suspect the victims died from hypothermia after crossing in freezing temperatures.
Since 2015, Greece has been a key entry point into the European Union for migrants and refugees. According to Frontex data, irregular arrivals through the Eastern Mediterranean route declined by 27 per cent in 2025, with around 51,400 recorded arrivals in Greece last year.